When you mention social media Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn are the first things that spring to mind. However, with more and more people recognising the power of social media, we have analysed some new up-and-coming social media platforms and apps to watch this year.
1. Space Tag – Once launched, this app will allow users to tag specific places and objects leaving notes for themselves or others. It hones in on the location through the camera on the smartphone.
2. Sharewall – Allows readers to access content that would otherwise be locked behind a paywall by using social sharing as a currency. The start-up also helps websites to offer customised content for readers across three channels: the homepage, newsletters, and social media.
3. Frilp – Frilp puts together recommendations on products and services from Frilp experts. This is the perfect companion when you go to a new city and need to know which hotels to stay in and restaurants to visit.
4. Bubbly – Bubbly is a voice-based social media network, allowing users to record voice messages, edit them with effects, and share them on social media. Bubbly was recently acquired by Altruist Group, a company that provides telecom services in Europe, Africa, and Asia, though terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
5. WeChat – A media-centric messaging app, WeChat connects users across platforms. BuzzFeed has recently teamed up with WeChat to deliver top viral content and news to followers.
6. Meetey – Meetey is a location-based app that lets you share and enjoy moments happening around you. The network creates a quick and easy way of connecting and engaging with people in the area. Users are also able to share and consume local content in the anonymous mode.